Our Master of Arts in Anthropology programme is directed at interested participants who have earned their bachelor’s degree in Anthropology or related disciplines. The master programme offers intensive training in Anthropology's thematic subtopics, a strong research focus, and regional specialization. It is of particular importance to us to give our students didactically sound input. Our classes are taught in small groups which allows frequent individual feedback and the development of core competencies such as writing skills for publishable articles, grant applications, or public services.
A bachelor’s degree in Anthropology, or other college degree with related anthropological themes, or comparable degree in humanities, cultural studies, or social science.
Our courses are taught in English. Potential students are therefore required to be able to speak fluent English and demonstrate capability to understand academic language. Proof of employment in a regional language urgently desired.
- English: Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR): Level B2, UNIcert II, or another equivalent documentation.
- Additional European language, such as French, Spanish, Portuguese, or Russia: Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR): Level B1, UNIcert I, or another equivalent documentation.
- Basic knowledge of a language related to a region of study desired (Africa, Asia, Near and Middle East): Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR): Level A2, UNIcert I, or another equivalent documentation.
In order to properly be accepted at our master's program, you must successfully complete an aptitude exam. This consists of a 30-minute interview, which consists of
- 10-minute presentation (topic is up to the applicant)
- a follow up 10-minute discussion
- 10-minute exchange regarding current and future research interested topics of the student.
The aptitude exam for the upcoming winter semester takes place in June. For international applicants, the exam is also possible via Skype. The exact date of exam will be informed at least a week prior to the scheduled exam.
- Prior to completing the aptitude exam you are required to apply directly to the Institute of Anthropology with the following documents: letter of intent to study Anthropology giving your reasons for application to Leipzig, your updated CV, a copy of your graduation certificate and your transcript of records. Please forward material of your application to our email at ethnologie(at)rz.uni-leipzig.de
- Simultaneously you will need to apply to Leipzig University.
- The application for international students and German students who have earned their degrees outside of Germany must complete their application externally through the portal Uniassist. All information pertaining to the application process, Uniassist and other helpful checklists can be found on the website for international Master students At leipzig University.
- Students can enrol to the master's programme in Anthropology for every winter semester. It is not possible to enrol for summer semester.
Application deadline at the Institute of Anthropology is on 31 May for the respective winter semester.
Structure of the Master's Programme
Our Research Profile
Leipzig University is a recognized hub for innovative research in the field of globalization and transregional studies. The Institute of Anthropology significantly contributes to this research strength with a number of projects that won competitive funding. The main research foci are technology and citizenship, social justice and rights, food security and people’s relationship to land, neoliberal governance and entrepreneurship, migration as well as ecological transformations.
News And Social Media
- Mail distributor for anthropology
Our Posteo-distributor is currently networking over 500 students, faculty, and alumni from the Institute of Anthropology in Leipzig. All members can share events, job or internship postings, as well as call-for-papers regarding anthropological or discipline-related symposiums and conferences. For registration please reach out to Ethnologie_leipzig(at)lists.posteo.de
We share useful information, news, current events of the institute and selected events of other organizations which pertain to those studying or interested in anthropology.